Thursday, January 3, 2008

Giving blogging a whirl

So I've decided to give blogging a try. Not sure exactly why, as I've been resistant to its time-suck capacity for a long time. I think I may be a wee bit frustrated by the media scholar blogosphere, at least that of it that I have discovered. It's pretty boy-centric, and really, really serious. I spend plenty of my time doing scholarly writing. If I'm going to blog I'd like to have a little more fun with it. I'm also perpetually frustrated by more popular writing about media, especially TV, so I hope that my scholars' perspective will offer something different. That said, I'm hoping that this blog will combine some of my favorite elements of other blogs I enjoy. I'm quite the lurky fan of Dr. Crazy's Reassigned Time and hope to achieve her blend of the personal, the political, and the professional. I admire lots of the academic feminist blogosphere, and am happy to track the few feminist media scholars' blogs written by women (if there are more of you out there, please let me know!). I do love lots of non-academic but still sharply critical media writing to be found online, especially sharp soap opera criticism, which is abundant these days in the increasingly disappointing world of US daytime soaps (this is way pre-writers' strike, so don't blame the scabs). I guess we'll see where this blog takes me. I hope to keep posts kinda brief and to write about things I am reading and watching and thinking about. This may at times deal with ideas I'm struggling with in my teaching or my research, but it may also deal with the hairstyles of the General Hospital actresses. Take these for example (screen caps from the great Serial Drama):



The blondification of these gorgeous brunettes is a crime. Stop the highlighting!


Also on the soap front is this exciting new promo for
Guiding Light's new shooting style (also to be used on P&G's other soap As the World Turns):

This cheaper production mode is looking mighty good here. In a time of great threat to the soaps' survival (not just the writers' strike but declining ratings all around), there are some fascinating instances of creativity and innovation at work. I don't think that the soaps are bound for extinction, as some have predicted, but change is definitely afoot. With so much of it for worse, I'm hoping that P&G's experiment in borrowing reality TV-style shooting is as promising as it appears here.

4 comments:

Ira Wagman said...

Welcome to the madness, Elana! And thanks for putting wagmedia on your blogroll. I'll return the favour.

Sam Ford said...

Hey Elana, I'm really interested in the new P&G shooting technique as well. I think soap fans are very willing for experimentation, especially on the visual side, if it means less $$$ spent there gives the company more time to focus on character and story.

And welcome to the blogosphere. Since there's no print publication to really serve the needs of folks who want serious discussion of soaps, it's nice to see more and more venues filling that gap online.

Team Oh! Industry said...

So glad you've joined the fray! We've just added Dr. TV to our blogroll. Thanks for thinking of us in yours.

Anonymous said...

Just saw a link to your blog on Mike's blog, and am happy to see another blogger out there. I like the name too. The doctor is in.